



Alright, so this week's Corner View is Staple Foods.
First of all, I had to look it up in a dictionary -how odd I thought my English was pretty good...
Then, I realized it was in fact, a black beans post. And a Tortilla one.
This is what people in Guate eat: Black Beans and Tortillas. In all meals, as a side dish to other foods, of course.
Is not an obligation to eat them in all meals, but they are so tasty and go with pretty much everything, people can't stop having them.
Sometimes, when food supply was low in our pantry, my mom used to say "All we have are beans" or when talking about apparent crisis "At least we'll have beans".
Black beans can be cooked in many ways. Three most popular: Boiled (parados), Blended, kind of like a soup but a bit more thick and eaten with tortillas or white bread (colados) and from a can (volteados) .
You can also have Sopa de Frijol, bean soup.
Red and white beans are usually made with chicharrón (a pork product, hmm pork scratchings?) and vegetables with rice, altogether. I tastes wonderfully good (except for the pork thing).
Now, you may notice that my photo has other stuff too. Aguacate (avocado). I can't stop having avocado. I just love it. It tastes too good and goes with anything.
Right next to it is a chirmol. Chirmol is made of tomatoes, onion and lemon juice.
All of them together, made excellent tacos. People usually have chicken or any other kind of meat in their tacos. I am a vegetarian, sorry no chicken on the tacos (unless it was alive and I had no intentions of eating such tacos...)
I think its a very latino thing to mix everything up. We usually like foods that a)go with everything or b)are already mixed with everything.
For more food around the corner, visit Jane.
Happy week!
P.S. Almost forgot. "Chapina" means Guatemalan. Is the way we refer to Guatemalan people, products or anything. For male is Chapín, for female Chapina.
18 comentarios:
this looks sooo good. any recipes? please... besos-jane
Haha...I like the latino thing here (a & b). And that Chimrol sounds reaaaaaaally good...hmmm
o, yes, avocado's, alltime favourite!
first i thought, mmm, chocolate, but that's my chocolate state of mind ;-)
Mm, I love black beans. This all looks really good.
Looks delicious! I don't think I've ever tried a black bean before! I wonder if they sell them here...?
Hello everyone!
Jane, I'll make sure to give you a recipe this week :D
C.T. Chirmol is in fact very good and can be done everywhere.
Daan, chocolate is the most pleasant state of mind XD
Caitlin, yes, black beans are great.
Travelingmama, I tried to look at your video but couldn't, my internet connection was off. I'll get to it in a while. I hope you do try beans sometime.
¡Abrazos!
i love black beans but i've never seem them like this!!
it looks delicious!!
This is a very interesting post. You eat very well, even if beans should really be "all you have":)! I tried black beans many times, but no matter how long I pre-soaked and cooked them, they were always very tough. SO I switched to red pinto-like beans, but they get too mushy. In the end I decided to just use our local "borlotti" variety, but they are just not the same. Any tips on preparing black beans?
very good. also very southwest. im in phoenix, arizona and we eat much the same stuff!
i'm vegetarian too, and i like avocado. i never tried black beans...i've to look around here in switzerland if i find some. and i like the words: all we have are beans....wish you a happy week.
I like black beans! This does look really good. xoxo
looks and sounds soooo good. black beans are a staple at our home as well.
p.s. i am a native english speaker, and i apparently got thrown by the theme.
this looks so delicious! i think i'd love living in guatemala!
It's like a surprise ! I'ld really like to taste !!!
i love black beans. i have trouble getting them here all the time so when i see them (only at my health food store) i buy all of the cans they have !!! (which is usually only about 6 !!)
i have tried to boil them from the dried beans but they never taste good. any tips ?
Oh ... your staples look so good. Would be nice with recipes :-)
Thank you all for your lovely comments!!
I promise to post an entry about cooking beans, boiled. At least the way we do them here.
Have a wonderful week!
que rico se ve eso!
Publicar un comentario